Who are Assistant Professors, and what do they do?
An Assistant Professor is an academic rank given by the colleges or universities given to mostly Doctorates or those who clear assistant professor exams. They are employed at government or private UGC OR AICTE regulated colleges or universities to teach and conduct research.
Here's what a Assistant Professor does:
- Assistant Professor teaches the subject of their field to college students.
- An Assistant Professor supervises the graduates and assists the Professors.
- He/She participates in departmental meetings and sometimes is a part of the management team as well.
- He/She provides academic support to students and faculty as well and gives suggestions to the board for improving education level.
Assistant Professor Resume Writing Tips
- Choose the right Assistant Professor Resume Format.
- Make sure your Assistant Professor Resume is captivating and compelling.
- Begin with stating your Career Objective as a Assistant Professor
- Elaborate your professional experience
- Boast Your Achievements in Your Professional Experience Section
- Add the additional skills to strengthen your profile.
- You need not create a catalogue of your work history, only add those work experiences that are relevant and necessary to mention
- Create a short and crisp summary that tells how you are right for the role of Assistant Professor
- Tweak Your Job Titles to Get Your Assistant Professor Resume Read
- Highlight Your Most Relevant Resume Skills
- Use industry-specific Keywords This Will Assure The Recruiter About Your Knowledge About The Same
- Address Any Employment Gaps Clearly in your Assistant Professor Resume
Assistant Professor Resume Format
The purpose of a resume is to flaunt your abilities to a hiring manager while demonstrating why you would be the right fit with the college or university. Everyone possesses different abilities, resume skills, years of experience in a related field, or exemplary academic achievements and certifications.
Depending on your situation, highlight only those qualities and skills that will give the recruiter a glimpse of your knowledge about the education and research sector and proves your candidacy for the job post of Assistant Professor.
Regardless of what your current status is,a fresher graduate, professional expert or the one seeking change in career path,there is a set professional resume format.
How will you arrange all the sections in the Assistant Professor resume? What is the order of the sections? You will get answers to these questions in the format of the resume.
It is the resume format for your Assistant Professor resume that will dictate which section goes where, and in what order. Consequently, there can be three possible resume formats for you to choose from:
- The Reverse Chronological Resume Format
- The Functional Resume Format
- The Combination (Hybrid) Resume Format
The chronological resume format is the most used resume format, and probably the one you are using now. As the name suggests, a reverse chronological resume states your current position first. It follows your past experiences and education. This resume format highlights your most recent work experience.
It best matches the needs of those who want to show vertical career progression in their specific field, those who have no gaps in their employment history, and those who wish to be posted in the same or related industry.
But If you've changed jobs like you change your clothes, or have prominent gaps in your working history, or want to change your career path or shift to a new industry, this resume format is probably not for you.
This type of resume format highlights your notable skills. Basically, a functional resume format throws light on your expertise skills and qualifications.You must customize your resume to include industry-specific keywords and skill requirements used in the job posting.
Those with a particular skill set that they want to emphasize should use this resume format. This resume format is also great for you if your employment history shows some gap years or if you are keen on changing your career and want to shift to a new industry.
If you don't have a heavy skillset to show off or are a recent graduate, this resume format wouldn't be the right choice.
The combination resume format of the reverse-chronological and functional resume formats. It offers the most flexibility because it consists of a mixture format. This resume format is for those with well-developed skill sets and background of mixed experience and education.
This resume format is the right one for you if you are an expert or extremely experienced in the given field. It may also work well for you if you are making initiating towards a new career path, or have a particularly relevant skillset.
To have a professionally formatted Assistant Professor Resume is a cherry on the cake but remember to pour some quality content in your resume as well. It is advisable to spend adequate time researching for the job position and then only after due consideration develop your resume.
Choose the resume format that reflects your personality and gives you the most confidence.
Must Read: The Ultimate Guide to Resume Keywords
Assistant Professor Salary
- The average salary that an Assistant Professor receives in India is ₹3.33l.p.a.
- The salary bracket for Assistant Professor salary ranges from ₹1.73l.p.a. To ₹6.48l.p.a.
Assistant Professor Resume Headline
A resume headline is a short one-line phrase that highlights and summarizes your professional strengths. It is also called a resume title. It communicates to the hiring manager about what you can offer to an organization when you're hired.
It is more like the headline of a news story. Your Assistant Professor resume title should be brief and easy to read. It should highlight the qualifications that are most relevant to the job you have applied for.
Recruiters and hiring managers review if not, hundreds of resumes everyday. So write a resume headline that is concise and crisp. Moreover, a good resume title will at once give the hiring manager a good idea about your candidacy for the job.
Resume headline/title for Assistant Professor
Must Read: How to Name Your Resume and Cover Letter
Assistant Professor Resume Summary
One of the most critical aspects while crafting an Assistant Professor resume is how to start it. The best way to give yourself a headstart from others is by providing a compelling yet informative summary of your Assistant Professor resume.
Are you using a summary or an objective?
Summary and objective sections are at very first glance spotted by the recruiter. So make sure you have one. An objective section in the resume talks about what you want to achieve in your next job position. And a summary brief about what you will serve to the college or university with your skills and experience. It is necessary to give a review, if you are an expert because you have many things to flaunt in your Assistant Professor resume. But if you are a recent graduate, it is optional to provide a summary, because as a fresh graduate you will have very little to summarize.
So a resume summary should tell a story of us as a professional. That's the best way to start.
Put yourself in the employer's shoes, then think what a hiring manager would be expecting. Make sure your resume summary is compelling so that it forces the hiring manager to go through all the rest of the details in brief.
Refer the below resume summary from the above Assistant Professor resume sample:
Skills to include in a Assistant Professor Resume
It is the critical skills of an Assistant Professor that will set him apart from the rest of the crowd.
Don't commit the mistake of stuffing your resume with keywords—emphasis only industry-related skills in your Professional Experience section. A typical HR manager won't even take a minute to see if a resume is genuine or whether it is copied-pasted by the applicant.
The need for Assistant Professor may be different for each college or university and industry. For example: If you were an Assistant Professor in 2 companies, the 3rd college or university which you are applying might demand a different skill set.
So what it is something you should include for sure in your Assistant Professor resume that will help you to outstand others. It is the Job Description. Job description lays down the skills and qualities that the recruiter is looking for in a candidate. You should align your resume skills along the lines of the requirements of the job post .
The most wanted Assistant Professor soft skills on resumes
- Problem-solving or troubleshooting
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Time management
- People’s management
- Attention to detail
Top technical skills for Assistant Professor resume
- Word Processing Skills
- Spreadsheets Skills
- Database Skills
- Electronic Presentation Skills
- Web Navigation Skills
- Website Design Skills
- EMail Management Skills
- Digital Cameras
- Computer Network Knowledge Applicable to your School System
- File Management & Windows Explorer Skills
- Downloading Software From the Web (Knowledge including eBooks)
- Installing Computer Software onto a Computer System
- WebCT or Blackboard Teaching Skills
- Video Conferencing skills
- Computer-Related Storage Devices (Knowledge: disks, CDs, USB drives, zip disks, DVDs, etc.)
- Scanner Knowledge
- Knowledge of PDAs
- Deep Web Knowledge
- Educational Copyright Knowledge
- Computer Security Knowledge
For a more detailed guide on Resume Key Skills for an Assistant Professor Job Profile check-out CV Owls complete guide on skills to include in resume.
Must Read: 10 Best Skills to include on your Resume
How to write experience in Assistant Professor Resume
Your work experience is one of the essential sections of your Assistant Professor resume. How you frame this point in your resume determines your chances of getting selected by the hiring manager.
A Assistant Professor Resume must be inclusive of industry related technical keywords and jargons. Strike a balance between resume keywords and overall meaning to make sure that even a General HR going through your Assistant Professor resume will be able to extract relevant information.
Don't just keep going on writing the long work experiences without highlighting your performance results in figures. It's better to quantify your performance; this will strengthen your Assistant Professor resume experience section.
Another way is to keep a separate Key Achievements section for all your work profiles. Through this way, it is easy for the HR Manager to differentiate your job role from your achievements.
While the latter resume section can be numbers-heavy, your job responsibilities can focus on your role itself.
Follow the below key points you must keep in mind while writing your experience section of your Assistant Professor resume.
- Show Range
- Show Results
- Demonstrate Specialization
- Use of Action Words/Power Verbs
- Bolding & Bucketing/Sub-headings
Must Read: How an Application Tracking System works?
Certifications required for Assistant Professor Resume
Top Assistant Professor Certificates your resume MUST HAVE:
If you need certifications or not depends on your field, but in general, there is no mandatory certification needed for becoming Assistant Professor. But UGC-NET is mandatory exam to be cleared by an Assistant Professor aspirant.
But at some universities, only docrates are accepted as Assistant Professors. Following are the exams one need to attempt and clear to become Assistant Professor:
- UGC NET- National Eligibility Test By UGC
- GATE- Graduate Aptitude Test In Engineering
- SLET- State Level Eligibility Test
- CSIR NET
Education Section in Assistant Professor Resume sample
There's a specific degree required for being an Assistant Professor, as it depends on the subject or field of the job position. Mostly the jobs requiring a Master’s degree will ask for a Master's in Commerce, M. Tech, M.Phil etc.
According to Study.com candidates applying for a senior or management role for Assistant Professor are expected to have a Ph.D in their specialised field of education.
Mention your educational degree, school's name, and location. It is not necessary to mention the year you graduated if it was more than 10 years ago. Write down your academic achievements such as your GPA, or other awards, if you're a fresh graduate.
Must Read: Here’s what not to include in your Resume?
Hobbies/Interests in Assistant Professor Resume Sample
An active and robust Hobbies/Interests resume section means you are an individual with strong interests and have a life outside of work.
- For an entry-level professional, it is essential to list his/her high-school/college achievements because it's only they have.
- For applicants having an experience between 0-10, it will be a plus-point to add those ectra-curricular accomplishments that align with the job which you are targeting.
- But for people with 10+ years of professional experience, it is not that useful to list out your achievements at under-graduate levels ( but you can surely mention awe-inspiring accomplishments that resonate with you).
Must Read: The Best Way to Keep Your Resume Updated
Assistant Professor CV Review
Does your Assistant Professor CV pass the 10-second test? Send us a copy of your Assistant Professor CV, and our professional CV writers will assess it and email you the suggestions. With over three years of experience within the recruitment industry, we know precisely what employers are trying to find during an applicant's resume.
Would you wish for an expert opinion on your Assistant Professor Resume/CV? Then, CV Owl’s CV and resume review service is best for you.Our service aims to help you maximize the impact of your Assistant Professor CV, achieve your career goals and assist you in creating an interview-winning resume.
You are sure to get feedback on how your Resume/CV is scanned by Application Tracking System (ATS) and how the recruiters use it to filter out the applicants. So there aren't any excuses not to get your Assistant Professor CV reviewed by CV Owl.
Assistant Professor Cover Letter Sample
Writing an excellent Assistant Professor cover letter is an essential step in your job search journey. A good Assistant Professor cover letter showcases your relevant experiences and formally requests the opportunity for an interview.
The cover letter examples we've compiled are perfect for a variety of management professionals. Be sure to use the Assistant Professor cover letter sample as a starting point when crafting your own job-winning business cover letters along with your Assistant Professor CV.
Remember these points when writing a Assistant Professor resume:
- Fulfil your employer's expectations. You review your Assistant Professor Resume or CV as if you are the hiring manager.
- Follow the Job description religiously and then tailor your Resume or Assistant Professor CV accordingly.
- All you have to do is to prove the hiring manager that you are the best fit for the job post.
- Typically a reverse-chronological resume format is used. But try to opt for the resume format ( functional /combination / reverse-chronological resume) that best serves your purpose.
- If you are an entry-level Assistant Professor, you can go for an Objective section on your Assistant Professor resume. But for experienced one’s, it is necessary to have a Professional Summary section.
- Under your Assistant Professor resume Skills section prepare a separate section for Technical Skills that align the Job Description.
- When you are describing your work, don't forget to provide clarity to the recruiter by giving its context.
- Show off your soft skills and professional experience. Even if your role is massive on analysis and numbers, no one wants to work with a robot.
Check out CV Owl's Online Resume Builder for more Assistant Professor resume templates and multiple designs!
Are you still facing any difficulty while crafting your Assistant Professor Resume? End all your doubts and worries by writing to our Resume Experts at email@example.com. You are sure to get reverted in 24 hours!